Bus Accident & MTA Passenger Injury Lawyers in Los Angeles
Bus accidents are more frequent than most believe. According to recent data, thousands of bus passengers, pedestrians, bicycle riders, and other motorists suffer injuries due to bus accidents across the county each year.
We are determined in the pursuit of justice for victims of public transportation accidents across Los Angeles County and surrounding communities.
Liability for Bus Accidents – Common Carriers Public Transportation Laws
California common law enforces a heightened level of care for operators or public transportation vehicles including bus drivers, as well as streetcar operators, and subway conductors.
Civ. Code § 2100 states that carriers of, “persons for reward must use the utmost care and diligence for their safe carriage, must provide everything necessary for that purpose, and must exercise to that end a reasonable degree of skill.”
Injured passengers are owed a duty of general safety. Plaintiffs are able to establish a claim for compensation if the violation of a common carrier’s duty results in significant injuries.
Different Types of Accidents Involving Public Transportation Vehicles
- Bus accidents with other motor vehicles on the road
- Bus collisions with pedestrians and bicyclists on the road
- Bus passenger injuries due to sudden stops and starts
- Bus door injuries – including defective bus wheelchair ramps
Common Injuries Resulting from Bus Accidents
There are numerous injuries that can take place following a tragic bus accident. Some of the most common injuries reported by our clients include:
- Severe Neck Pain – Whiplash Injury
- Spinal Cord Damage – Paralysis and Paraplegia
- Lower Back Pain – Cervical Disc Fractures and Contusions
- Facial Injuries – broken nose, facial lacerations and contusion, loss of teeth, and trauma to the eyes
- Broken Bone – Hip Fractures, cracked ribs, and broken ankles
- Knee and Ligament damage
- Traumatic Brain Injury
Severe injuries may require revision surgeries and post-injury rehabilitation costing tens of thousands of dollars.
Filing a Bus Accident Injury Lawsuit – Compensation for Injuries
The Personal Injury Law Offices of Joseph Farzam is dedicated to protecting the rights of victims injured in public transportation accidents in Los Angeles County and surrounding communities across southern California.
Victims of public transportation accidents have a right to monetary recovery for all their losses including:
- All medical costs – Emergency room visit, hospitalization, doctors visits, and prescription medication.
- All future medical health costs including recovery for future rehabilitation, revision, corrective surgery, and disability expenses.
- Pain and suffering associated with injuries suffered including mental anguish, depression, and post-traumatic stress syndrome following a catastrophic accident.
- Lost earnings and wages, including recovery for future loss or reduction of wages due to inability to work.
Statute of Limitations for Filing a Case Against Public Entities
Most bus lines in the State of California are operated under the guidance of a public transportation authority controlled by a public entity. There are specific statutory laws governing civil lawsuits against government-controlled entities; the most significant of which is the time period one has to file a claim in the court of law.
In the State of California, a plaintiff has 6 months (180 days) from the date of the accident to file a notice of grievance with the proper state agency. Failure to file a claim in time will bar an individual from recovery.
Attorney Representation in Bus Accidents
Our attorneys have successfully represented victims of auto accidents and general personal injury claims across California winning tens of millions of dollars in verdicts and settlements. Our goal is to fight for your right to the compensation you and your loved ones are entitled to. To schedule a free case review contact our Law Offices. We are available 24 hours per day 7 days a week to speak to you.