Dog bites and mauling are extremely dangerous and can result in serious injuries, mental anguish and permanent scarring or disfigurement. Dog owners are liable for any injuries caused by their pets; more so property owners and apartments building landlords who had pre-warned knowledge of the vicious behavior of the dog residing on their premises.
Dog Bite Injury Legal Representation: The Joseph Farzam Law Firm is dedicated to providing individuals injured by a dog bite incident with the legal representation they deserve. Our goal in a dog bite lawsuit is the same as yours; to make sure you are fully compensated for your injuries and made whole again. Our attorneys have successfully represented thousands of personal injury cases including animal attacks and have provided tens of millions of dollars in compensation for our clients. All initial consultations with our dog attack attorneys are free of charge. Call us and speak to one of our dog bite attorneys regarding your dog bite claim.
Dog Breeds Commonly Associated with Dog Bite Injuries – Viscous Dog Breeds: There are hundreds of dog breeds. The vast majority of dog breeds do not display vicious tendencies. However, certain dog breeds are more likely than others to commit attacks in the United States. A list of the viscous dog breeds can be found below.
- Pit bulls
- German Shepherds
- Alaskan Malamutes
- Doberman Pinschers
- Chow Chows
- Great Danes
- St. Bernards
Dog Bite Personal Injury Claim – Steps to successfully litigate your dog bite case
Dog bite cases can be complicated personal injury matters requiring financial and legal resources which most law firms do not have. An attorney presenting you in a dog bite matter should be astute to (1) the specific California Dog Bite laws which apply (2) matters of property owner and landlord tenant liability (3) homeowners insurance coverage regarding specific dogs of incidences which may not be covered and (4) knowledge and expertise in persuing possible criminal charges against parties at fault.
Below is some important California Dog Bite Laws which can have a substantial effect on your dog bite lawsuit:
- California Civil Code Section 3342: “The owner of any dog is liable for the damages suffered by any person who is bitten by the dog, while in a public place or lawfully in a private place, including the property of the owner of the dog, regardless of the former viciousness of the dog or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness”
- Calif. Civil Code Section 3342.5: “The owner of any dog that has bitten a human being shall have the duty to take such reasonable steps as are necessary to remove any danger presented to other persons from bites by the animal.”
City and County Statutes: Different city and local ordinances dictate the statutory liability and fault for a dog bite incident resulting from the failure to abide by local statutes: Some examples are provided below.
- Santa Monica: A dog must be leashed when traveling to and from off-leash areas, with a leash six feet or less in fixed length.
- Santa Monica: Vicious dogs must be kept out of off-leash areas unless muzzled and on a leash.
- Beverly Hills: “No person shall own a fierce or vicious dog, or a dog that has been bitten by any animal known to have been afflicted with rabies. Any dog found to be vicious or afflicted with rabies shall be destroyed unless otherwise disposed as provided herein.”
- Orange County Licensing of Dogs: “Every person owning or having custody of any dog four (4) months of age or older shall procure for said dog an Orange County dog license. Such license shall be procured within fifteen days”
You are entitled to recovery for your injuries from individuals failing to follow the law. Failure to abide by these statutes might help proved liability for a god bite incident. A trusted and aggressive personal injury lawyer has the duty to peruse all legal avenues to ensure your rights are protected.
Common Injuries from a Dog Bite:
Dog bite injuries can be serious in many cases fatal. Some of the most common dog bite injuries are as follows:
- Dog Bite Amputations: In many cases K9’s particularly Pit bulls do not let go of the body part they have bitten into. The clenched jaws of a Pit-bull often remain in place even after repeated attempts to dislodge. Such attacks eventually lead to full or partial amputations of vital body parts. Body parts which are susceptible to amputations include, Fingers and hands, Partial amputation of the arms, legs, ears, nose, lips and tongue.
- Head Injuries: Because of their small stature children under the age of 12 are particularly susceptible to head injuries. According to statistics nearly 65% of dog attack injuries amongst children were to the head and neck regions. Such injuries can result on permanent brain damage, nerve injuries, skull fractures, head and neck scarring and disfigurement.
- Infections: The rate of infections caused by a dog bite is high. Many individuals believe dog bite owners may only be liable for damage caused by the initial attack. However, negligent parties are liable for all subsequent injuries and damages which are the result of the initial incident including later infections or any other medical complications which may arise. Dog’s can carry many viruses and bacteria which upon the puncturing of the skin can infect the victim. Older individuals or those with weakened immune systems can be particularly vulnerable.
- Facial Scarring and Permanent Disfigurements: If scars do not heal properly a victim has to suffer from permanent disfigurement leaving the individual emotionally damaged. As a result multiple surgeries and medical procedures may be required to relieve victims of their pain including, plastic surgery, reconstructive surgery, laser removal of scar, and skin grafts. Such procedures can be incredibly costly and painful to undergo. You have a right to compensation for any repair of damages of scarring on your body and face you decide to undertake.
Other Injuries you have a right to compensation for include:
- Emotional Damage: Including pain and suffering and post traumatic stress disorder;
- Puncture Wounds: Dogs K9’s can reach deep into the tissue of a victim;
- Nerve Damage: Deep K9’s puncture can severe or damage the nerves of a limb leading to partial of complete paralysis or numbness;
- Spinal Cord Injury: In many instances dogs instinctively bite the neck of a victim severing the nerves of the spinal cord column leading to paraplegia or tetraplegia.
If you have suffered from any of the above injuries in a dog bite incident you have a right to compensation. Contact our Law Offices and tell us about your case. Our helpful legal team is standing by.
Dog Bite Lawyer in Los Angeles
A serious dog bite can lead to costly medical bills and a lengthy recovery. Under California Personal Injury laws, a victim of an accident or dog bite attack is entitled to recovery for –
- Medical Costs: Including Emergency Room Visit and Hospitalization
- Prescription Drug Costs
- Future Medical Expenses including future corrective surgery for scarring and disfigurements
- Future rehabilitation costs
- Lost Wages and Future Loss of income
- Pain and Suffering including Emotional Distress and Post Traumatic Stress
- Property Damage
The Legal Team You Need for Your Dog Bite Claim
Dog Bite Lawsuits can be difficult to litigate requiring expert testimony from trusted behavioral dog experts, medical practitioners and tedious expert legal representation. Joseph Farzam Law Firm has years of experience handling uniquely challenging Personal Injury litigation involving serious dog bite injuries including dog bites against children and the elderly, brain injuries from dog bites and dog mauling involving multiple dogs.
Animal Attack Legal Representation: We have handled and litigated thousands of cases, recovering tens of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts against all the major insurance carriers. Our dedicated legal team deeply cares for all clients. Your cause is our cause; to see to it that justice is served and full restitution for your injuries recovered. We have tremendous passion for the practice of law and will zealously and vigorously litigate your case until justice is served and victory achieved.
Time is of the essence and it’s easy to be pressured into signing something that you shouldn’t due to post-stress from a loss or an injury.