Bicycle accidents involving vehicles on California roads are more dangerous than most types of traffic accidents. Such accidents usually result in serious injuries including brain injuries, broken bones and permanent scarring, disfigurement and disabilities. You should not have to pay for the medical expenses you have incurred from injuries in a traffic collision caused by the fault of another motorist. Call the Law Offices of Joseph Farzam to speak to an attorney regarding compensation for your injuries.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents on California Roads
Nearly all injuries and fatalities involving motorcycle accidents involved crashes with motor vehicles. There are several common types of accidents involving motor vehicle crashes with bicycle riders. Some of the most common are presented below:
- Failure of Motorist to obey the stop sign: Also called the “California Roll”, motorists often fail to properly stop at a stop sign. Unsuspecting bicyclists, under the impression that the vehicle will make a full stop, begin to ride leading to a stop sign collision.
- Cars driving into bike lanes: Bicycle lanes are on the rise in many cities across California. Motorist often do not abide to proper bike lane rules resulting in bicycle accidents.
- Motorists Overtaking a Bicycle Rider: This kind of accident takes place when a motorist fails to see the bike rider in front or on the side of the vehicle before it’s too late. These accidents are more frequent in the night time because vehicles cannot or fail to see bike riders.
- Other Causes of Bicycle accidents involving motorists and truck drivers include:
- Drunk Driving
- Distracted Driving
- Speeding while driving
- Driver Negligence
- Driver Fatigue
- Failure to Yield
- Opening a Car Door on the Path of a Bicycle Rider
- Driving Too Closely to a Rider
- Stopping hard leading to a rear end crash with a bike rider
Bicycle Accident Serious Injuries
The use of bicycle lanes and protective equipment may help reduce the seriousness of injuries. However due to the weight discrepancy between bicycles and automobiles such accidents still lead to serious and permanent injuries. Some of the most common injuries are as follows:
- Brain Injuries and Other Head Trauma;
- Leg Injuries including Torne Ligament;
- Amputation Injuries;
- Spinal Cord Injuries;
- Neck and Lower Back injuries;
- Facial Lacerations and Permanent Scarring;
- Bicycle Accident Death.
Men and children are at most risk of injuries sustained from bike accidents. According to recent studies, 92% of those who died in bicycle accidents where male. Amongst children young boys are at a five times greater risk on motorcycle accidents.
Children and Bicycle Crashes – Recovery for Child Injuries in Bicycle Accidents
Children love to ride their bikes in the Summer time and on Weekends with their friends and loved ones. Unfortunately, bicycle accidents involving children are on the rise and a cause of concern for parents.
One in Five of all those injured or killed in bicycle accidents are children between the ages of 5 and 15. According to studies, some of the most common causes of deaths amongst child victims of bicycle accidents were due to traumatic brain injuries. Bicycle helmets have shown to reduce the prevalence of head injuries resulting from bicycle accidents. However, though helmet use reduces the chances of head injuries, they do not eliminate their occurrence. Children can still suffer from brain injuries during an accident even when they are wearing a helmet.
If your child has suffered a bicycle accident involving a vehicle at a stop sign, crosswalk, traffic light or a bike lane, contact our Personal Injury Attorneys for a free non cost evaluation.
Bicycle Riding Safety Tips
Our kids are important to us and we want to protect them the best way we can. Below are some important safety tips for children and adult bicycle riders.
- Guide your child in proper riding and safety protocols
- Avoid riding in the night time: if you ride in the night time wear
- Always wear a helmet: Using a bicycle helmet greatly reduces the chances of brain or facial injuries.
- Always be on the lookout for traffic issues ahead
- Use proper hand signals when riding in the street
- Use bike lanes where they exist: including bicycle paths, striped lanes and signed routes
Bicycle Accident Lawyer – Compassionate Effective Legal Representation
Intersection pedestrian and bicycle accidents claims can be difficult to litigate requiring expert testimony from trusted medical practitioners and tedious expert legal representation. Joseph Farzam Law Firm has years of experience handling uniquely challenging Personal Injury litigation involving serious injuries and complicated issues of liability.
We Can Help You get the Compensation You are Owed
Our Bicycle injury lawyers have handled and litigated thousands of cases and recovered tens of millions of dollars in settlements and verdicts against all the major insurance carriers in California.
Compensation for your Bicycle Injury Claim:
Monetary recovery for an accident caused by the negligent or intentional act of another person can be based on several factors including:
- Medical Expenses including the cost of your emergency room and hospitalization care;
- Prescription Medication costs;
- Cost of Future Medical Care and Rehabilitation Costs;
- Lost Wages and Future Loss of Income;
- Compensation for Pain and Suffering;
- Emotional Distress;
- Property Damage.
Your cause is our objective; to see to it that justice is served and full restitution for your accident related injuries recovered. We have tremendous passion for the practice of law and will zealously and vigorously litigate your case until justice is served and victory achieved.